Sunday 18 September 2011

Leyland Nationals (a brief introduction)

So why do I like the Leyland National bus? A number of reasons.

1. I used this type of bus to get to work to my first job after school. (Ashford to Kingston on London Transport route 216).
2. It got me to pubs in the Staines area. LT routes 216 and 117.
3. It has a unique engine and noise. No other bus was fitted with a Leyland 510 engine.
4. My friends have preserved 3 Nationals.

I vividly remember the journeys to Kingston on the 216 route.I remember waiting for the bus home. In those days it started from the front of Kingston bus garage (now demolished).Hearing the noisy engine echoing through the garage as it made its way to pick up passengers was music to my ears.

My friends have preserved ex Alder Valley NPJ472R, and ex Trent Buses GNU568N and PRR454R. When they got their first National, it bought bacl a lot of memories and now I enjoy travelling on these fine vehicles to bus rallys. A lot of the time they are also in use on free bus services there as well. I also help maintain, repair and clean them when I have some spare time. I will write more about these in the future..

I am a member of the Leyland National Group. See http://www.leylandnationalgroup.co.uk/ for more information about this group.


I will finish this off with some images from a 1978 sales brochure for the Leyland National (with thanks to Peter Gordon)



1 comment: