Saturday 12 November 2011

A day trip to Birmingham and Rugby

On Saturday 5th November I went on a day trip to a few pubs using a first class Great Escape ticket from London Midland Trains. I decided to spend £20 for a first class ticket. I was going to visit some pubs in Birmingham I like, and some pubs in Rugby not been to before.

Upon arrival at Birmingham New Street station I took a short walk to the Briar Rose. A Wetherspoons pub for a quick half of Lees - Hopmeister.

A minute walk to the Wellington (website) was next. This pub boasts 16 hand pumps. I decided not to have London Pride and settled for a half of Blue Monley - Magic 4.5% and Hopshackle - Extra Special Bitter 4.8%.

Wellington

Wellington
Next stop was the Lamp Tavern. A delightful little pub. On my way there I bumped into a fellow scooper from London. Martin was going to the Anchor so I said I'd see him there shortly. A half of Two Roses - Full Nelson 3.8% was my beer of choice here.

Pouring my half in the Lamp

Lamp Tavern
Next and final stop in Birmingham was the Anchor (website). A 4 roomed ex Ansells pub very close to Digbeth Coach station. There is always a good selection of beers here. 5 beers here were of interest to me, so a half of the following were drunk: Merry Miner - Scargill's Strike 4.1%, Patriot - Kiwi 4.1%, Geeves - Tunnel Mouth 4.8, Sportsman - Hopscotch 3.9% and Conwy - Autumn Red 4.5%

Anchor

Anchor

Anchor

Anchor

Anchor

Anchor

Then on to Rugby

The Victoria Inn for a half of Atomic Brewery Sun Burn 3.4%


The Squirrel Inn for a half of Dowbridge Decimus 4.6%. Locally brewed in the neighbouring county of Leicestershire.



Give cask ales a go, so I did.
Raglan Arms for a half of rarely seen Greene King XX Mild


Merchants Inn (website) had a beer festival on and a half of the following beers were drunk:
Dorset Piddle - Leg Warmer 4.3%, Merry Miner - Going Underground 4.4%, Oakham - Hop Picker 4.3%.


What a great idea!


I followed the sign for more beer




 

Unfortunately my train journey home was a bit of a nightmare but it was still a good day out visiting some great pubs with interesting beers.
The Merchants Inn is a fantastic pub with friendly and helpful staff. A good choice of real ales well kept, and lots of old breweriana to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment