Sunday 18 March 2012

A couple of pubs in Warrington

Friday 16th March.

As I'm spending 3 days based in Preston, it provided a good opportunity to revisit some pubs in Warrington but I visited a new pub for in Preston. The Continental is away from the town centre but was fairly close to my hotel so I went there first.





And a couple of photos of the adjacent railway viaduct.






Then on to Warrington. First stop was the Friar Penketh for a couple of Weterspoons festival beers.

Then to the Lower Angel for a new brewery and I was in luck. I had 2 beers from Tipsy Angel brewery which is located in a building at the back of the pub. Mild Angel 3.6% and  Paddy's Angel ( a stout) 4.5% were both drunk. The beers brewed here are based on old Taylor Walker beers which the brewer had researched for himself. He showed me the results and has quite a number of old recipe details. The recipes have had to be scaled for the Tipsy Angel brewery it brews just one brewers barrel at a time.

So here are the photos:



And the Tipsy Angel brewery is shown below:



I then went to the Ring O Bells but as it only had Wells & Youngs - Courage Directors, I declined a drink. photos taken of pub anyway.





Then to the Tavern which is the home of the 4T's brewery.

A fantastic choice of beers here with 8 handpumps plus the adjacent music room was open (fri sat and sun only I believe) with another 4 handpumps.

The outside of the pub:



And inside


Music bar

music bar


main bar



main bar

main bar

main bar


And finally the Looking Glass for food and festival beers. Then train back to Preston and bed.

2 comments:

  1. Tavern looks a bit plastic inside...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main bar is good, the music bar does look a bit plastic but the beer range is excellent in my opinion if you like hoppy beers.

      Will add photo captions which may help.

      Delete